and maybe a little paper!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

New Kitchen

One day while working in my two butt kitchen (a kitchen that only two people can fit in) my oldest son said, "Mom, why don't you knock out the utility room walls and expand the kitchen." Well, when your little kids (at least that was what they were when we bought the house) are now 32, 27, and 23 with spouses and grandchildren (which means the girls were pregnant at one time or another) and they all come home for a family meal, a two butt kitchen just doesn't cut it. So, in late July early August, I brought the hand saw in and started on the banister---

Then down came the utility room walls and the cabinets on those walls. They were later placed on the new kitchen wall between the living room and the kitchen.

Up came the old vinyl and down went the new tile and we didn't stop until it was finished.

I love my backsplash above the counters and behind the sinks. I can't believe that I did that part by myself. We got a new table for Christmas. All the kids received a chair at the table for Christmas. It has hidden leaves that come out and make it a huge round table that sits eight adults and one high chair. I look forward to getting a small round table for the grand kids but for now this is perfect.

Since October, we have had a baby shower, a baby blessing dinner, a bridal shower, a sandbox party, Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner in this new kitchen that will seat at least 20 people comfortably. What a difference knocking out two walls made!

No comments: